Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A New Indie Song Everyday (Andonia Layr Band) 3-2-11

I am super new to this idea of blogging.  Yes, it has been out for a very long time, but I have always been reluctant to start a blog.  Today is the day, as Andonia Layr would say.  She is first on my list for discussion.  What I hope to accomplish with writing is a sense of discovery.  I realized the other day that I listen to the same songs and depend upon someone else to guide me through the new released music.  Well "Today is the Day" that I discover new music.  Today I start my new journey into the wonderful world of Indie and not just Indie Rock.  I seek to bring about a fresh new outlook.  One that will open up my world, and hopefully others, about music.  Music that the corporate world denied or has not yet seen the potential.  World Music, Instrumental, Zydeco, Celtic, whatever it may be that so crosses my path I will hear its voice.

As time goes by this year,  maybe people will get involved and send over some music for me to take a listen.  I encourage everyone to start exploring the idea of finding new music locally and across the world.  Music has far been thought of as this boxed formula that only the select know how to accomplish.  Let us break those predetermined lines and fuel the idea that anyone with a voice can express feelings and emotions that create music.

Back to Andonia Layr or more correctly Andonia Layr Band.   www.andonialayr.com
What does she bring to the table?  Andonia Layr Band brings a  freshness that shows a different view of the world.  Instruments involved include a cello, djembe, conga, guitar, and voice like a ruffled angel.  This trio puts it all out there with heart, soul, and melody.  Some lyrics are politically inspired, while others are directed toward a relationship gone awry.  Whatever direction the band takes, we are sure to find an open outlook on life.  One that makes you ponder the situations that the band experienced.  What feeling comes to mind when the cello player starts playing or the percussionist is beating his hands against the skins?  When listening I feel something that resonates.  I smile, I gently breathe in the clarity that the band gives freely.  And I can't help but think the band feels the same way.  Of course the lyrics pertain to the singer on a personal level, but the performance coupled with the connection of each member lends me to believe they all relate.  Like a harmony that mimics natures companions, Andonia Layr Band works in unison while straining each individual component out of the mix.  Each member displays an uniqueness that shines ever so brightly as a whole unit.

The song I chose was Owl.  It is a very creative take on being something other than a human.  The symbolism in the Owl is unlike anything I have heard a songwriter produce.  It astonished me and was really set apart from the normal mainstream songs that flood the radio.

This musical gem resides in Dallas, Texas and is dear to my heart as first of A New Indie Song Everyday.  May they press on and share the feeling with the world.

1 comment: