Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A New Indie Song Everyday (ID the Poet) 3-8-11

I am extremely excited about the song for today and do believe I have come to an agreement with myself.  After hearing the rap band and researching to find them signed to an indie label, I reevaluated my goal.  What I want to accomplish with the blog is to give people a chance to hear some music that they might otherwise have never heard and to give the band much needed and well deserved exposure.  I was torn if they are signed then should I listen and give my thoughts on the bands song?  I came to a conclusion as long as they do not have a high amount of fans I will consider it fair to write about them.   I was in a political mood today and happened to run across the political band iD the Poet.  The song is Wilderness.

Christian Based and Political
iD the Poet can be found here:
http://www.myspace.com/idthepoet
iDthePoet.com

A voice mocking an Edgar Allan Poe style opens the song Wilderness.  Poetic layers of lyrics continue until we are matched up with the truth seeker.  Ominous cello carries throughout the song.  The Wilderness keeps a steady beat of an almost sinister impending doom, however just light enough to keep hope.  It is a warning to a lost listener and it becomes in your face evident with this lyric, "Waiting for the Saviors tremendous yell".  With other lyrics such as.  "Children kept from the sun", "Governmental Collapse"  and "Devour our Young", the future of the song looks bleak until we hear the verse "I drown them out with my music".  Now we start to realize he is fighting back and trying to get his listeners to come to grips with a reality that he foresees to be coming true.

I could go on and on about this song it is so multi-faceted but in line with past posts I will rap
it up.  In the ending we hear the tinkling of the cowbells as iD says, "And we're oh so civilized hanging ourselves, ourselves with our ties.".  To me this last line is a look at how can we be the debonair ones when we are so brutal to allow things to happen.  The irony here is we claim this civilized state but we still allow children to starve in the world, wars in the name of peace, and greed to run-a-muck by men in ties.  (A child dies every 5 seconds.)  What good is it to be the civilized human when we are in fact left with the carnivorous animals as he basically puts the "wolves are locked up with the rest". Metaphorically, we have hung ourselves in certain ways with our government by giving up certain rights under the guise of safety.

iD appeals to me with their truth jaunts in Wilderness.  Thanks for taking me on this journey where I will heed the warning and seek to understand the trials we may have before us.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the review. check out more of my music:

    http://www.iDthePoet.com
    http://www.Facebook.com/iDthePoet

    ReplyDelete