Saturday, March 5, 2011

A New Indie Song Everyday (Corey Ledet and His Zydeco Band) 3-5-11

Starting off this is an exhausting genre to search for independent artist.  Strangely enough most of my searches came up with different states that do not to pertain to the original background of Mardi Gras.  And although I do believe in fate leading me in the direction I need to go,  finding Corey Ledet and His Zydeco band was a nice detour.  http://www.myspace.com/coreyledetandhiszydecoband/music/songs/mom-sue-20701490

Here is a a little history on the event of Mardi Gras taken from
theholidayspot.com/mardigras/origin.htm
Mardi Gras in the Melting Pot:

"Although Mardi Gras is basically a Catholic holiday, today it is party for everyone here in United States. This is especially true in New Orleans and other parts of Louisiana which can be credited for introducing this tradition in the country.

Mardi Gras first came to New Orleans through French Culture in the year 1699 when the French explorers celebrated the holiday on the Mississippi River. Over the years, the celebration has witnessed growing national attention with many parades and parties coming in to add to its hue and flavor. Despite the Hispanic invasion later the celebration has not lost its original French influence."
Taken from:
http://www.theholidayspot.com/mardigras/origin.htm

Being it is Saturday and I like most folks, work during the week, I was able to heavily search for a worthy indie artist residing in Louisiana.  I found Corey Ledet and His Zydeco Band.  His facebook page confirmed him as an independent artist.  http://www.facebook.com/coreyledetandhiszydecobandfanpage?sk=info

The song I picked out was Mom Sue.  The common factors that make up zydeco music are displayed here, but Corey Ledet and His Zydeco Band really capture the Louisiana atmosphere.  He has a soothing blues voice and I can almost feel the soulful culture oozing from the kaleidoscope of instruments.  A seamless blend of the accordion and scrub-board really puts you in the mood to boogie down.  One can't be still while listening to these guys.  The sound is reminiscent of the past zydeco legends, and in my opinion is certainly a staple band for the area.

Mom Sue begins with an almost angelic church like hymn.  Then eases us into a dancing rhythm.  Lyrics, "Help from you my poor mom sue", are the nutshell of the song.  Although the song is not puffed up with lyrics the intention of the song is left open.  In a world where we are bombarded with what to think, Mom Sue gives us much needed freedom and a clean palate.  I live the culture and experience the idea associated through this song.  Corey Ledet and His Zydeco Band have done justice to the French Culture, and I can almost hear a cajun french tongue, where if I put my mind to it becomes a different language all together.

Well worth the search and look forward to the tour leading them to my hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment